Fettuccine Prima Vera
|Chinese pea pods||1⁄4 Pound|
|Green onions||2 Medium|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Frozen peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Half and half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
1. Prepare Fettuccine; dry at least 1 hour before cooking.
2. About 45 minutes before serving, cut asparagus into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Remove strings from Chinese pea pods. Slice mushrooms. Cut carrots into 3-inch-long matchstick-thin strips. Cut green onions into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Set vegetables aside.
3. Cook noodles: In 6-quart saucepot over high heat, heat water and 1 teaspoon salt if desired to boiling. Add '/2 pound Fettuccine (wrap remaining dried noodles with plastic wrap and refrigerate to use within 2 weeks). Gently stir to separate noodles; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium. Cook noodles about 5 minutes or until tender but firm (al dente); drain. Return noodles to saucepot.
4. Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, in 2 tablespoons hot olive oil, cook asparagus, carrots, and Chinese pea pods, stirring frequently, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables to bowl; set aside. In same skillet in 2 more tablespoons hot olive oil, cook mushrooms and green onions 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Return asparagus mixture to skillet; add frozen peas, coarsely ground pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are heated through, stirring occasionally; remove from heat.
5. Over medium-low heat, gently toss noodles with half-and-half, butter or margarine, grated Parmesan cheese, and vegetable mixture until heated through.