Gourmet Cannelloni Alla Nerone
|Chicken breasts||3 , boned|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Prosciutto slices/8 thin slices cooked ham||10 (Italian Ham)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Quart, scalded|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Egg noodle dough||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1 Recipe)|
1. In a skillet, saute the chicken breasts in one-quarter cup of the butter until the breasts are lightly browned.
2. Saute the chicken livers briefly in the same skillet.
3. Grind the chicken breasts, livers and prosciutto, using the finest knife of a food grinder. Add one cup of the grated Parmesan cheese and mix.
4. In the top of a double boiler melt the remaining butter, add the flour and stir with a wire whisk until blended. Add the scalded milk to the butter-flour mixture, stirring vigorously with the whisk. Cook over boiling water, stirring, until thickened. Add the cream to the sauce and season with white pepper and salt to taste.
5. Add about one cup of the sauce to the ground mixture and mix well.
6. Using scissors, trim the edges of the rolled egg noodle dough to make it four inches wide. Cut across the dough at four-inch intervals to form squares.
7. Cook the squares of dough immediately in a large quantity of boiling water until tender, eight to ten minutes. Drain and spread the squares on damp towels.
8. Spread about two tablespoons chicken filling on each square and roll tightly. Arrange the rolls of filled dough in two layers in three 12x7 1/2 inch but tered baking dishes. Sprinkle each layer with some of the remaining Parmesan cheese and cover with some of the reserved sauce. (This preparation may be done ahead.)
9. Dot the top of each dish with bits of additional butter and bake in a preheated moderate oven (375° F.) until the tops are lightly browned, twenty minutes or longer.