|Fresh strawberries||1 Pint, hulled|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Buttermilk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Red food coloring||2 Drop|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Through a food mill or a sieve, put the 1 pint strawberries to make a puree.
2) In cold water, soften the gelatin and heat it over hot water till the gelatin dissolves.
3) Combine together the ¾ cup sugar, buttermilk, strawberry puree, food coloring, vanilla and gelatin. Mix well.
4) Into a single 6-cup or two 3-cup refrigerator trays, turn the mixture. Freeze till firm.
5) Break the firm preparation into chunks and transfer to a chilled bowl.
6) With an electric or rotary beater, beat till smooth.
7) Beat the egg whites till soft peaks start to form.
8) Add 1/3 cup of sugar very gradually, beating till stiff peaks are formed.
9) Into the strawberry mixture, fold the sugar mixture.
10) To the cold refrigerator tray, return the mixture and freeze till firm.
11) Reserve some whole strawberries from 1 pint of strawberries for garnish and slice the remainder. Sweeten to taste.
12) Into parfait glasses, spoon the frozen mixture and the sliced berries in alternate layers.
13) With the reserved whole berries, garnish the preparation.
14) Serve right away, while the preparation is still chilled.