Chilled Orange Parfaits
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||3 Tablespoon|
|Cornstarch||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), divided|
|Orange juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Grated orange rind||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , separated|
1) In a bowl, pour in cold water to add gelatin and soften. Place this aside.
2) In another bowl, combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons milk and keep it aside.
3) In a medium saucepan, scald rest of the milk.
4) Fold in sugar, salt and cornstarch mixture to the milk.
5) Reduce heat to low and keep on stirring for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid gets thick.
6) Add gelatin mixture, orange juice and orange rind to this mixture.
7) Continue stirring liquids until the gelatin dissolves.
8) In another bowl, beat egg yolk to form thick and lemon colored liquid.
9) Stir in ¼ part of hot mixture into egg yolk. Next add the remaining part, by continuous stirring.
10) Reduce heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes by constant stirring.
11) Allow it to cool down at room temperature.
12) In another bowl, add egg white and beat to for stiff peaks.
13) Stir in the egg mixture into the cooked ingredients.
14) Allow the mixture to chill until it gets slightly thick.
15) Take each parfait glass to crumble one ladyfinger into each of them. Place 1 ladyfinger on each glass.
16) Pour in custard mixture into the parfait glasses.
17) Place inside the refrigerator to chill down.
18) Serve the parfait chilled by garnishing with orange rind.
Calories 197 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.8%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 111.4 mg37.1%
Sodium 193.8 mg8.1%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.91 g3.6%
Sugars 27.8 g
Protein 8 g15.5%
Vitamin A 6.3% Vitamin C 28.5%
Calcium 10.2% Iron 4.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet