Episode 62 - Pancakes with Blueberry Confit - 8-7-11
|For blueberry confit|
|Granulated sugar||6 Ounce|
|Lemons||2 , zested and juiced (reserve some zest for garnish)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon (1/4 vanilla bean)|
|Eggs||4 , seperated|
|Granulated sugar||2 Ounce|
|All pupose flour||4 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Butter||1 Ounce, melted and cooled|
|Whole milk||3 Ounce|
|Vanilla extract||1 Ounce|
1. Zest the lemons and squeeze them to extract juice.
2. In a pan, put together water, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest, reserve some zest for garnish.
3. Heat and bring the simple syrup to a boil.
4. Turn off the heat and allow the syrup to sit, until the lemon zest is translucent.
5. Remove the zest and bring the syrup back to a boil until it reaches the temperature of 230F.
6. Once the syrup reached the desired temperature, remove the pan off the heat and add in the blueberries and vanilla extract and mix.
7. Allow the syrup to rest and cool.
8. Pre heat the griddle pan.
9. In a mixer bowl, put the put the egg whites and whisk until it reaches frothy stage.
10. Slowly add in the sugar, while still beating, until it reaches stiff peak consistency.
11. Transfer the egg white in another bowl and put all the remaining ingredients in the mixer bowl along with remaining egg yolk
12. Beat the flour mixture in the stand mixer until it forms in smooth batter.
13. Fold the egg white meringue into the flour mixture a in 3 parts.
14. In the hot griddle, put about /3 for a cup and allow to cook until browned on both the sides.
15. Remove the pancakes and do the same until the batter is all used up.
16. Place the pancakes in a serving plate and spoon blueberry confit and reserve lemon rind and serve.