|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Chili powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Meat loaf||2 Cup (32 tbs), crumbled leftover|
|Canned tomatoes||29 Ounce (1 Can, 1 Pound 13 Ounce)|
|Canned red kidney beans||2 Pound (2 Cans, 1 Pound Each)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Yellow cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled, sliced and separated into rings|
|Ripe olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pitted, sliced|
|Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, grated (1 Cup)|
1. Preheat oven at 400°.
2. To make the filling in a large frying pan saute onion and garlic with chili powder in olive oil or vegetable oil just such that soft, stir in crumbled meat loaf and then the remaining filling ingredients.
3. Let it simmer with cover for 15 minutes to blend flavors.
4. To make pancakes in a medium-size bowl beat egg until thick and then beat in flour, cornmeal, salt and water until smooth.
5. Take a 9-inch heavy frying pan, heat a slowly and test temperature by sprinkling in a few drops of water.
6. When drops bounce about, grease the pan lightly and pour batter, a scant 1/3 cup for each pancake.
7. Let it bake for 3 minutes such that the top appears dry and underside is golden, turn and bake 2 minutes longer.
8. Repeat to make 8 cakes.
9. Into a 12-cup baking dish layer between the pancakes with about 1 cup sauce and end with pancake.
10. To arrange topping place on top onion rings and sliced olives in a pretty pattern and sprinkle with cheese.
11. In hot oven bake uncovered for 30 minutes such that bubbly-hot and cut into wedges.
12. Serve hot with garnish as desired.
Pancakes take up sauce during baking.
Calories 796 Calories from Fat 221
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.4%
Saturated Fat 8.6 g43%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 90.4 mg30.1%
Sodium 2490.3 mg103.8%
Total Carbohydrates 117 g39.1%
Dietary Fiber 23.3 g93.2%
Sugars 15.6 g
Protein 34 g67.1%
Vitamin A 53.2% Vitamin C 63.8%
Calcium 41.5% Iron 54.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet