Rye Hot Cakes
|White flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (rye)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Melted butter||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Hot water||1 Tablespoon|
|Fat/Shortening||1 Teaspoon (For greasing)|
1. Into a large batter bowl, sift the flours, salt and baking powder and mix in the sugar.
2. Add the eggs and buttermilk and beat with a wire whisk into a thick batter.
3. Stir in the butter.
4. Just before frying, add soda dissolved in hot water to the batter and stir well
5. Heat a large griddle or pan and grease it well with fat or shortening.
6. Use a large tablespoon to drop the batter into the pan.
7. Fry for 4-5 minutes on each side until evenly browned.
8. Use a pancake turner to remove onto a platter lined with paper toweling to drain.
9. Place the pancakes in a warm oven till you fry remaining pancakes.
10. Serve the pancakes with hot apple sauce or maple syrup.