Classic Potato Pancakes
|Idaho potatoes||2 Large, peeled|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Yellow onion||1 Small, peeled and finely grated|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a large bowl of cold water, grate potatoes using a coarse grater.
2. Soak for 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile in a bowl, blend egg and flour into a smooth batter.
4. Add onions, baking powder and salt. Stir to mix well.
5. Drain potatoes, and pat dry on paper towels, squeezing out as much as water as possible.
6. Stir the potatoes into the batter.
7. In a large frying pan or skillet, heat oil over high heat for 1-2 minutes.
8. Use a large tablespoon to drop potato mixture into oil, shaping into 4 or 5 large cakes and flattening slightly with a spatula.
9. Brown 1-2 minutes on each side, turn heat down low, and cook pancakes 20-25 minutes, turning frequently, so they're cooked through.
10. Remove and drain on paper toweling.
11. Serve piping hot.
12. Accompany with sour cream or applesauce.