Crispy Potato Pancakes
|Baking potatoes||3 Large, peeled (such as Idaho)|
|Carrot||1 , peeled (optional)|
|Clarified butter/Vegetable oil /olive oil /peanut oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for frying)|
1. Beat the egg in a large bowl.
2. Using the large-hole side of a box grater, shred the potatoes in long motions, forming the lengthiest shreds possible. Quickly grate in the onion. Grate in carrot and zucchini, if desired.
3. Add the salt and sprinkle in the flour; toss with your hands to combine well.
4. Heat the clarified butter until it shimmers but does not smoke. (A piece of potato should sizzle upon entry.) Form 8 pancakes from the batter, and panfry in batches of 3 or 4, squeezing out excess water before gently sliding each pancake into the pan.
5. Cook the pancakes slowly, without moving them, for the first 5 minutes, then loosen with a spatula. Turn after about 8 minutes, when the top appears one-third cooked. Finish cooking on other side, about 4 minutes more. Drain on paper towels.
6. Serve with sour cream, jam, or applesauce, or plain sprinkled with sugar.