|Fully ripe strawberries||1 Quart|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), sifted|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Confectioner's sugar||2 Tablespoon|
1. Set out a griddle or a heavy 10-inch skillet.
2. Wash and remove blemishes from strawberries.
3. Set 18 berries aside to garnish serving plates; hull and slice remaining berries, place them in refrigerator.
4. Sift together flour and salt into a bowl and set aside.
5. Beat with rotary beater to blend eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
6. Set griddle over low heat.
7. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add egg mixture, stirring batter only until blended; set batter aside.
8. Beat egg whites until frothy.
9. Add 4 teaspoons of sugar gradually, beating well after each addition.
10. Beat until stiff peaks are formed. Carefully fold egg whites into batter.
11. Test griddle; it is hot enough for baking when drops of water sprinkled on surface dance in small beads. Lightly grease griddle if manufacturer so directs. For each pancake pour about 1 cup of the batter onto griddle. Immediately tilt griddle back and forth to spread batter evenly. If necessary, use spatula to spread batter. Cook until pancake is puffy, full of bubbles, and golden brown on underside. Turn only once and brown other side. Transfer pancakes to a warm platter and keep them warm by placing between folds of absorbent paper in a 350°F oven.
12. When all the pancakes are cooked, remove strawberries from refrigerator. Mix one-half of the sliced berries with sugar.
13. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the sweetened strawberries onto each pancake and roll. Place pancakes onto individual plates. Sprinkle each with confectioners' sugar.
14. Arrange remaining sliced strawberries over the top of pancakes. Garnish plates with leaf lettuce and the whole strawberries.