|Rock salt||To Taste|
|Lean bacon slice||2|
|Shallots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Green pepper||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Teaspoon, strained|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Tabasco sauce||3 Drop|
|Oysters||2 Dozen, shucked, and the deeper half shell of each reserved (large)|
|Lemon||1 , cut lengthwise into quarters|
1. Preheat the broiler to its highest setting.
2. In 6 individual shallow baking pans-€”each large enough to hold half a dozen oysters comfortably spread the rock salt to a depth of about 1/2 inch.
3. Alternately spread a 1/2-inch layer of salt in the bottom of one or two shallow baking-serving dishes that are large enough to hold all of the oysters.
4. Arrange the pans on one or two large baking sheets and set them in the oven to heat the salt.
5. In a heavy 6- to 8-inch skillet, fry the bacon over moderate heat until it is crisp and brown and has rendered all its fat.
6. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain, then crumble and set aside.
7. To the fat remaining in the skillet add and fry the shallots, celery and green pepper stirring frequently and let it cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not brown.
8. In a small sieve drain the vegetables and drop them into a bowl.
9. Toss together gently and thoroughly adding the reserved bacon, the lemon juice, Worcestershire and Tabasco.
10. Scrub the oyster shells thoroughly under cold running water then pat them dry.
11. In the salt-lined pans arrange them in a single layer and place an oyster in each shell.
12. On top of the oysters, spoon the vegetable-and-bacon mixture dividing it evenly among them.
13. Broil about 3 inches from the heat for 4 to 5 minutes, until the oysters plump up and their edges begin to curl slightly.
14. Serve at once, directly from the baking dishes, and garnish the oysters with lemon wedges.
Calories 230 Calories from Fat 55
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.4%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 130.5 mg43.5%
Sodium 395 mg16.5%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g5.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.94 g3.8%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 26 g51.1%
Vitamin A 18.6% Vitamin C 67.4%
Calcium 4% Iron 75%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet