Tips To Prepare Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie
Skip the dessert is what comes to your mind when you are counting calories. What if you could prepare a relatively effortless classic dessert – Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie! Traditionally, pumpkin pie is high in simple carbohydrates like sugar, processed ingredients like refined wheat flour, and fat hence per serving it gives you around 300 calories. If we replace these ingredients without compromising on either quality or taste, we have in our hand the perfect dessert. Pumpkin is an excellent source of anitoxidants, carotene, vitamins ( vitamin A, folate, niacin, vitamin B6, thiamine, and pantothenic acid) and minerals (copper, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus). Why deprive yourself of the this incredible dish and goodness of this vegetable? Here are a few easy tips that would not only reduce the calorie content of this dish but also make it a lot healthier.
How To Make a Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie
- Truth lies in the crust! Do not buy readymade crust, phyllo dough or ready to make dough mix. Instead try to make the crust at home, that way you can control the ingredients in the dough.
- The crust of the pie is loaded with fat. First, reduce the amount of fat used, second change the type of fat used from unsalted butter or margarine to any butter substitute. This not only cuts down the fat content and calories but also brings down deleterious saturated fats and trans fats! Fat contributes 130 calories to each serving of pie, remember each gram of fat you reduce 9 cal come down.
- Instead of all purpose flour use wheat flour, oats, crackers this adds more dietary fiber to the dish increasing its satiety value. You consume less in turn taking in lower calories.
- Use sugar substitutes made out of sucralose, like splenda. They do not alter the taste of the pie. But significantly bring down the calories making it suitable for weight watchers and diabetics.
- Use egg substitutes or minimum yolks and more of whites. This lowers the fat and cholesterol content without compromising the protein content.
- Use skim milk instead of full cream milk.
- Use an oil spray instead of greasing the pie pan the traditional way.
- Pumpkin pie can be made crustless completely omitting the extra calories .A pie devoid of crust, plus using ingredients like skim milk, sugar replacement powder, and egg substitues brings down calorie content from 300 to 61 per serving
- Conventional pie accompaniments like whipped cream and ice cream, add extra calories to your diet. So, choose pie accompaniments with care. Consume pies with freshly chopped fruits or low fat whipped cream.
Nutrient Content Comparison of Traditional Vs Crustless Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie
Total calories (Kcal)
Saturated fat (g)
Total Carbohydrate (g)
Learn how to prepare low calorie desserts, not only pumpkin pie but these tips can be used to prepare lemon pie, strawberry yogurt pie, and banana cream pie too. Serve these easy to make low calorie pies with a dollop of fat free whipped cream and enjoy!