1. Mix half the grated coconut into the rice flour lightly with the fingers to make a mixture free of lumps. Set aside.
2. Extract 1/2 cup milk from the remaining coconut.
3. Grind cumin seeds, button onions and garlic cloves to a fine paste. Dissolve the ground paste and salt in coconut milk.
4. Roast the coconut and rice flour mixture over a low flame in a heavy vessel, till fairly dry. Sprinkle the coconut milk over and continue stirring, till steam rises from the flour.
5. Remove from fire and knead well, adding enough water to form a soft dough.
6. Knead the sesame seeds into the dough, cover with a damp cloth and set aside for half an hour.
7. Divide the dough into small portions the size of large marbles.
8. Roll the dough into thin circles, on wax paper or greased banana leaves.
9. Wrap the rolled out dough around a greased rod and press the overlapping edges together to form a small curl. Slide it off the rod. Repeat till all the dough is used up.
10. Deep fry, cool and store in airtight containers.