The Popular Food Tours of Chicago
Recently, Chicago city has taken bold steps in beautifying the city and nurturing visitor-friendly attractions. Embarking upon a food tasting and cultural walking tour is the best way of exploring the city. The food tasting tours will help you in grabbing the essence of real Chicago life. These food tours offer delicious mixture of history, culture, culinary traditions, world class architecture and fun.
There are varieties of food tours offered by tour operators around Chicago. Some of these food tours are available throughout the year, whereas others are available only during specific seasons. There are many food tours offered by Chicago travel operators but the most famous amongst them is the food tour offered by the Food Planet. The food tour offered by Food Planet guides you through delicious neighborhoods of Chicago.
You can eat your way through 3 types of food tours offered by Food Planet, they are:
• Near North Food tour
• Chinatown Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tour
• Bucktown/Wicker Park Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tour
Near North Food tour:
This food tour offers trip through 7 food tasting locations in Gold Coast, Old Town and Lincoln Park neighborhoods. This food tour is conducted between April to November and is available on all week days. This tour starts from Michigan Avenue and Lake Michigan in the Gold Coast. Each tour group comprises of 16 people and tour duration lasts up to 3 hours. Daily the tour begins at 11 am and ends at 2pm. This food tour leads you to:
• The Spice House: Here you can sample some of the best spices and herbs found in America. This shop was established in 1957.
• Bacino’s Pizzeria: This Pizza heaven offers some of the best award winning Chicago stuffed pizzas. Bacino’s Pizzeria was established in 1978.
• Delightful Pastries: This place serves some authentic European pastries. You can choose between various morning pastries, cookies, brownies, cheese cakes and cakes. This place was opened in 1998 and is managed by mother daughter team of Dobra Bielinski and Stasia Hawyrszczuk.
• Tea Gschwendner: This place is famous for its special loose teas. You can buy some of the best loose teas and tisanes from Tea Gschwender.
• Old Town Oil: As the name depicts the Old Town Oil is famous for its finest quality of Extra Virgin Olive oils and Aged Balsamic Vinegars. You can sample some of the finest Aged Balsamic Vinegars from countries all over the world.
• Ashkenaz Deli: This is a restaurant which serves some authentic Ashkenazic Jewish delicacies. Ashkenaz Deli was established in 1975.
• The Fudge Pot: This chocolate heaven was established in 1963, and they specialize in chocolate fudges.
Chinatown Food Tour:
This tour leads you through 5 authentic food sampling locations around Chinatown. This food tour is conducted between April and November and is available only on Mondays. This tour starts from Cermak and Wentworth intersection in Chinatown. Each tour group comprises of 8 people and generally the tour duration lasts upto 3.25 hours. The tour timings are from 12 pm to 3.25 pm. This food tour leads you to 5 food sampling locations:
• Lao Beijing: This is an award winning Mandarin Cuisine restaurant, which was established in 2008.
• Triple Crown: Triple Crown is a famous Canton cuisine and Dim-Sum restaurant in China Town which was established in 1996. Triple Crown serves Dim-Sums till 3 PM in the afternoon.
• Saint Anna: This is a traditional Chinese style bakery offering authentic Chinese desserts and pastries. Saint Anna was established in 1993.
• Lao Sze Chuan: This place serves authentic Chinese food. You can choose from various delicacies. The place serves food till late night. Lao Sze Chuan was established in 1998.
• Lao Beijing: This award winning Mandarin cuisine restaurant was established in 2008.
Bucktown/Wicker Park Food Tasting Tour
This tour leads you through 6 authentic food sampling locations around Bucktown and Wicker Park. This food tour is conducted between April and November and is available on all week days. This tour starts from North, Milwaukee, and Damen Avenues. Each tour group comprises of 14 people and the tour duration lasts upto 3 hours. The tour timings are between 11 am and 2pm. This food tour leads you to:
• iCream : You can savor instantly whipped out ice creams. All the ice creams served at the spot are instantly created and served on the spot. It was established in 2008.
• George's Hot Dog's: Is rated no 1. Chicago style hot-dog “stand”. This has served Chicagoans since last 5 decades.
• Piece: This is modern style pizzeria, with award winning brew pub. This was established in 2001.
• Hot Chocolate: Hot Chocolate is considered to be Chicago’s top most pastry and dessert restaurant. This place is relatively new to the visitors, still it hogged limelight for all tasty reasons.
• Goddess and Grocer: This gourmet deli, bakery and grocer treats you with home made soups, chills, sandwiches, salads , cupcakes, and desserts . The grocery section offers variety of cheeses, beer, wine, pasta and chocolates.
• Sultan’s market: This Middle Eastern styled food stores offer some of the authentic Middle Eastern delicacies. The Sultan’s market was established in 1985.
Don’t miss the deliciously appeasing food experience at any of the above mentioned places.
Image courtesy: 2.bp.blogspot.com