Oh Lamby Boy!
|Olive oil||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Lamb shanks||2 Pound (4 Pieces, 1/2 Pounds Each)|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Yellow onion||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled and cut in one-inch lengths on the bias|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Chopped garlic||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Chopped thyme||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped rosemary||2 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaves||2 (Preferably Fresh, But Can Substitute Dried In Equal Portion)|
|Vegetable stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Yukon gold potatoes,||3 Pound, halved|
|Chopped italian parsley||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Put your Dutch oven on the burner, heat to medium-high heat, and add the olive oil.
2. Season the lamb shanks heavily with salt and pepper; don’t worry about over-seasoning. Dust them lightly with flour.
3. When the olive oil begins to smoke slightly, use your tongs to lay the lamb shanks on their sides into the oil without overcrowding them. Let them brown for about a minute, and then turn them slightly to begin
browning the next section. Once they are brown on all sides, remove them from the pan. Repeat this for all the shanks.
4. Reduce the heat in the pan to medium, and add the onion, carrot, and celery. Move them around in the pan using a heat-resistant spatula to help cook them evenly. When they have begun to soften and caramelize
slightly after about 10 minutes, add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf and allow this to cook together for 1 minute.
5. Add the stock and bring it to a boil. Turn off the burner, arrange the 4 shanks in the middle of the pan and surround with the fingerling potatoes. Sprinkle a pinch more salt and black pepper over the potatoes. Cover the pan and put it in the oven for about 3-1/2 hours. When the meat peels away from the bone, the lamb is ready! Present this right in the roasting pan. Garnish with lots of chopped parsley, and place it in the center of the table.
Calories 842 Calories from Fat 496
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g85.9%
Saturated Fat 15.3 g76.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 92.1 mg30.7%
Sodium 351.2 mg14.6%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.8 g31.3%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 30 g60.4%
Vitamin A 71.2% Vitamin C 35.6%
Calcium 9.7% Iron 26.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet