Candied Orange Peel
|Navel oranges||2 Large|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Peel off the orange skins and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
2. Take a large saucepan, place orange peel in it, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Drain.
3. Repeat boiling procedure 3 times, and set peel aside.
4. In a heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water; let it come to a boil and cook, stirring often, until mixture reaches soft ball stage (235°).
5. Put in the peel; let it simmer 10 to 15 minutes. With a ladle, stir often, or until most of liquid evaporates. Remove and drain, if necessary.
6.Cool to room temperature.
7. In sugar, roll peel, a few pieces at a time.
8. Keep them in a single layer on wire racks; allow the peel to dry 4 to 5 hours.
9. Put the candied peels in an airtight container.
10. Use in desserts, to make mincemeat or enjoy as a candy after dinner.