|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped dates||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coconut flakes||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fine Variety)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Glazed cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Orange||1 Medium, juiced|
|Grated orange rind||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (For Greasing)|
|For orange butter frosting|
|Icing sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat an oven to 175C (350 F).
2. Grease a 9 inch x 9 inch baking pan. Keep aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Mix well and sieve. Keep aside.
4. In a medium sized bowl, combine sugar and butter. Cream well using a wooden spoon.
5. Add eggs, beat till well combined.
6. Add sieved flour mixture, remaining ingredients and fold using a rubber spatula.
7. Transfer batter on to greased baking pan and bake in pre heated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till cooked.
8. Once baked, remove from oven and keep aside to cool.
9. In a medium sized bowl, combine all the ingredients required for frosting and mix well. Keep aside.
10. Cut cooled cake into squares/ rectangles, top with Orange butter frosting and serve.
You can also make frosting with lemon juice or Vanilla extract, if you don-€™t want to use orange flavour.