Florida Orange Nut Bars
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Orange juice||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Sifted cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Pecan halves||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1) Grease a 15 x 9 1/2-inch pan.
2) In a bowl, add the shortening and cream well.
3) Add in 1 cup sugar and cream till light and fluffy.
4) One at a time, add in the egg yolks and the whole egg, beating after each addition.
5) In a glass, combine orange juice and rind.
6) Combine and sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
7) Add the mix to the shortening mix, alternating with the orange juice. Mix well after each addition.
8) Add into the baking pan and spread evenly.
9) Beat the egg whites till stiff.
10) Slowly add in the remaining half cup of sugar and continue beating till stiff and glossy.
11) Spread over the batter and top with pecan halves.
12) Place in the oven and bake at 350° F for 25 minutes.
13) Cut into 1 x 3-inch bars.
14) Cool and remove from the pan.
15) Serve as a healthy snack.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3426 Calories from Fat 1114
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 129 g198.8%
Saturated Fat 22.9 g114.7%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 581.7 mg193.9%
Sodium 1464.2 mg61%
Total Carbohydrates 537 g179.1%
Dietary Fiber 16.6 g66.5%
Sugars 318.8 g
Protein 48 g95%
Vitamin A 24% Vitamin C 218.7%
Calcium 98% Iron 133.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet