Florida Orange Nut Bars
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Orange juice||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Sifted cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Pecan halves||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1) Grease a 15 x 9 1/2-inch pan.
2) In a bowl, add the shortening and cream well.
3) Add in 1 cup sugar and cream till light and fluffy.
4) One at a time, add in the egg yolks and the whole egg, beating after each addition.
5) In a glass, combine orange juice and rind.
6) Combine and sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
7) Add the mix to the shortening mix, alternating with the orange juice. Mix well after each addition.
8) Add into the baking pan and spread evenly.
9) Beat the egg whites till stiff.
10) Slowly add in the remaining half cup of sugar and continue beating till stiff and glossy.
11) Spread over the batter and top with pecan halves.
12) Place in the oven and bake at 350° F for 25 minutes.
13) Cut into 1 x 3-inch bars.
14) Cool and remove from the pan.
15) Serve as a healthy snack.