|Granulated sugar||5 Ounce (150 g / 2/3 cup)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Fresh bay leaves||8 (to decorate)|
1. Put the sugar in a heavy-based saucepan. Add half the lemon juice, then add 120 ml / 4 fl oz / 1/2 cup water. Cook over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil for 2-3 minutes until the syrup is clear.
2. Slice the tops off eight of the oranges to make "hats". Scoop out the flesh of the oranges and reserve. Freeze the empty orange shells and "hats" until needed.
3. Grate the rind of the remaining oranges and add to the syrup. Squeeze the juice from the oranges, and from the reserved flesh. There should be 750 ml / 1 1/4 pints / 3 cups. Squeeze another orange or add bought orange juice, if necessary.
4. Stir the orange juice and remaining lemon juice, with 90 ml / 6 tbsp water into the syrup. Taste, adding more lemon juice or sugar as desired. Pour the mixture into a shallow freezer container and freeze for 3 hours.
5. Turn the orange sorbet mixture into a bowl and whisk thoroughly to break up the ice crystals. Freeze for 4 hours more, until firm, but not solid.
6. Pack the mixture into the hollowed-out orange shells, mounding it up, and set the "hats" on top. Freeze the sorbet shells until ready to serve. Just before serving, push a skewer into the tops of the "hats" and push in a bay leaf, to decorate.
Calories 295 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g1.6%
Saturated Fat 0.14 g0.71%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0.6 mg0.02%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25.1%
Dietary Fiber 11.1 g44.4%
Sugars 62.8 g
Protein 3 g6.4%
Vitamin A 21% Vitamin C 335.4%
Calcium 20.2% Iron 5.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet