Caramelized Oranges In An Iced Bowl
|For ice bowl|
|Fresh flowers||1 Dozen (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Fresh fruits||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Caster sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Grand marnier/Cointreau||4 Tablespoon|
1. Set freezer to rapid freeze. Place a few ice cubes in the base of a 1.7 litre/3 pint freezable glass bowl. Place a 900 ml /1 1/2 pint glass bowl on top of the ice cubes. Arrange the flower heads and fruits in between the 2 bowls, wedging in position with the ice cubes.
2. Weigh down the smaller bowl with some heavy weights, then carefully pour cold water between the 2 bowls making sure that the flowers and the fruit are covered. Freeze for at least 6 hours or until the ice is frozen solid.
3. When ready to use, remove the weights and using a hot damp cloth rub the inside of the smaller bowl with the cloth until it loosens sufficiently for you to remove the bowl. Place the larger bowl in the sink or washing-up bowl, half filled with very hot water. Leave for about 30 seconds or until the ice loosens. Take care not to leave the bowl in the water for too long otherwise the ice will melt. Remove the bowl and leave in the refrigerator. Return the freezer to its normal setting.
4. Thinly pare the rind from 2 oranges and then cut into julienne strips. Using a sharp knife cut away the rind and pith from all the oranges, holding over a bowl to catch the juices. Slice the oranges, discarding any pips and reform each orange back to its original shape. Secure with cocktail sticks, then place in a bowl.
5. Heat 300 ml/1/2 pint water, orange rind and sugar together in a pan. Stir the sugar until dissolved. Bring to the boil. Boil for 15 minutes, until it is a caramel colour. Remove pan from heat.
6. Stir in the liqueur, pour over the oranges. Allow to cool. Chill for 3 hours, turning the oranges occasionally. Spoon into the ice bowl and serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1913 Calories from Fat 26
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.8%
Saturated Fat 0.37 g1.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0 mg
Total Carbohydrates 444 g148.1%
Dietary Fiber 52.4 g209.6%
Sugars 372.1 g
Protein 16 g32.5%
Vitamin A 74.5% Vitamin C 1153.6%
Calcium 65% Iron 11.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet