|Sifted regular all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||1 Tablespoon|
|Anise seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Candied orange peel||4 Ounce, coarsely ground|
|Citron||8 Ounce, coarsely ground|
|Granulated sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Very Fine)|
|Egg yolks||5 (Unbeaten)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg whites||5 , stiffly beaten|
|Glaze||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Make several days ahead:
1. Sift flour with baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and pepper. Add cardamom, anise seeds, orange peel, and citron. Toss to coat well with flour.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, mix butter with granulated sugar, the egg yolks, and lemon peel until well blended. With spoon, blend in flour mixture; fold in egg whites. Refrigerate 1 hour.
3. With floured hands, shape dough into small balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets; let stand, uncovered, 12 hours at room temperature.
At baking time:
1. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
2. Bake cookies 15 minutes, or until done.
3. Cool on wire racks. Meanwhile, make Glaze. Frost cooled cookies with Glaze, then, if desired, toss in confectioners' sugar. Makes about 83.
Glaze: Mix 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar with about 3 tablespoons milk until smooth and of spreading consistency.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4753 Calories from Fat 483
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 55 g84.5%
Saturated Fat 25.2 g126%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 989.9 mg330%
Sodium 2675 mg111.5%
Total Carbohydrates 1008 g336%
Dietary Fiber 48.6 g194.6%
Sugars 546.5 g
Protein 87 g173.6%
Vitamin A 50.4% Vitamin C 398.5%
Calcium 74.9% Iron 188.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet