Onion Twist Loaves
|Dry yeast||1⁄4 (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (105 Degree To 115 Degree)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (105 Degree To 115 Degree)|
|Softened butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs), divided|
|Melted butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant minced onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic salt||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven at 350°.
2. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and add next 6 ingredients.
3. Gradually add 2 cups flour, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
4. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
5. Onto a well-floured surface, turn dough out and knead 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
6. In a well-greased bowl, place dough turning to grease top.
7. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour until doubled in bulk.
8. Punch dough down, turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute.
9. Roll into an 18- x 12-inch rectangle.
10. In a bowl combine 1/4 cup melted butter and remaining ingredients, stirring well and spread evenly over dough.
11. Cut dough lengthwise into three 18- x 4-inch strips.
12. Roll each strip up, jellyroll fashion, beginning with long side and cut each in half crosswise.
13. Grease a baking sheet, place 3 halves, side by side and braid.
14. Tuck ends under to seal and repeat with remaining dough.
15. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
16. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
17. Remove from baking sheets and place on wire racks to cool.
18. Slice them and serve alongside soups or as desired.