Pickled Beets and Onions
|Canned whole beets||2 Pound (2 cans, 1 lb each)|
|White wine vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled and thinly sliced|
1) Drain beets and reserve 1 1/4 cups liquid.
2) Keep beets in 1 1/2 to 2-quart jar.
3) In a medium saucepan mix vinegar, sugar, salt, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaf and reserved liquid.
4) Boil the mixture, decrease heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
5) Mix onion slices to jar.
6) Stir beet liquid over beets and onions.
7) Cover and chill for several hours or overnight.
8) Serve cold.