Tripe and Onions
|Tripe||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Dash|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Toast points||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. In saucepan add water to tripe to cover and cook with cover over low heat about 3 hours till cut surface of tripe has clear, jellylike appearance.
2. Then drain, dice and keep aside.
3. In medium saucepan melt butter, add onion and cook till tender but not brown.
4. Blend in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg and add chicken broth and milk all at once.
5. Cook stirring over medium-high heat till mixture is thick and bubbly.
6. Add tripe and heat through.
7. Serve over toast points sprinkling with paprika.
Calories 557 Calories from Fat 198
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.3%
Saturated Fat 10.5 g52.6%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 243.4 mg81.1%
Sodium 1232.3 mg51.3%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.2%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 6.3 g
Protein 32 g63.4%
Vitamin A 14.8% Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 24.1% Iron 28.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet