Stuffed Deviled Onions
|Whole white onions||8 (3 inches in diameter)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Fresh mushrooms||8 Medium, finely chopped|
|Dijon style mustard||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|White wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), divided|
|Hot pepper sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cheddar cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded|
|Seasoned cornbread stuffing mix||8 Ounce (1 package)|
1. Flatten the bottom of each onion by cutting a small slice at the bottom.
2. In the bottom of each onion, cut an" X" about 1/4-inch deep.
3. In a Dutch oven, cook onions in boiling water 15 minutes, drain and allow it to cool enough to handle.
4. Take out the onions and with each onion make a thin slice across top to level and scoop out center, leaving a 1/2-inch shell.
5. Reserve onion centers and finely chop reserved onion centers to yield 1/2 cup.
6. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
7. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook oil, garlic and chopped onion stirring frequently until onion is almost soft but not brown.
8. Add mushrooms and continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms are soft.
9. Stir mustard, wine, 1/4 cup chicken broth and hot pepper sauce until well blended.
10. Remove from heat, stir in cheese and corn bread stuffing.
11. Fill each onion with stuffing mixture and place them in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
12. In a microwave-safe cup, microwave remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth on high power (100%) 1 minute.
13. Pour broth into baking dish and bake with cover in the same oven with Smoked Cornish Hens 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
14. Serve warm with the desired garnish.
Calories 491 Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.1%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.6 mg9.5%
Sodium 954.1 mg39.8%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.3%
Sugars 15.3 g
Protein 15 g30.1%
Vitamin A 5.6% Vitamin C 36.7%
Calcium 29.1% Iron 16%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet