Richly Glazed Pearl Onions
|Boiling water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Dried porcini mushrooms/Cepes||1 Ounce (1/3 cup)|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Pearl onions||2 Pint, peeled|
|Cinnamon stick||1 , broken|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken stock/Beef stock / canned broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Italian plum tomatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped, canned, with some of their liquid|
1) In a heatproof bowl, pour in boiling water to soak the mushrooms for 20 minutes or until softened.
2) Rinse the mushrooms in the soaking liquid and squeeze dry. Remove the tough stem ends and chop coarsely. Place aside.
3) Reserve soaking liquid and let the grit settle.
4) In a large nonreactive skillet, add butter and melt over moderate heat until hot, about 2 minutes.
5) Arrange the onions on butter in an even layer.
6) Place the cinnamon stick and cook the onions, without stirring, to brown on the bottom.
7) With a tongs, flip the onions and brown the other side for another 4 minutes.
8) Pour in the red wine and boil for 2 minutes, before pouring in the stock.
9) Bring the liquid to a boil. Cover with a lid and cook for another 20 minutes or until the onions softens and the liquid reduces and thickens.
10) Remove the lid and stir in the reserved mushrooms and the tomatoes with their liquid.
11) Pour in the porcini soaking liquid leaving the grits in the bowl.
12) Return the liquid to a boil. Cover with lid and simmer for 4 minutes or until the sauce is dark and syrupy.
13) Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle sugar on top, if desired. Serve warm.
The onions can be prepared up to 2 days ahead and stored inside refrigerator by covering. Before serving, reheat the onions in a saucepan over moderately low heat. Add little bit of water if the sauce is too thick.
Calories 227 Calories from Fat 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.1%
Saturated Fat 4 g19.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.3 mg5.8%
Sodium 187.9 mg7.8%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g9.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g1.2%
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 3 g6.4%
Vitamin A 5.5% Vitamin C 8.1%
Calcium 5.7% Iron 1.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet