Sweet And Sour Onions
|Pickling onions||2 Pound (1 Kilogram)|
|Salt||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Water||4 Pint (2.25 Liter)|
|Demerara sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Malt vinegar||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Pickling spice||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram)|
1. Place the onions in a large saucepan with the salt and water and stir.
2. Put a plate on top to keep the onions under the brine.
3. Leave for 12 hours.
4. Peel the onions carefully and return to the brine for a further 24-36 hours.
5. Meanwhile, to make up the spiced vinegar, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar over a low heat, stir in the spice, bring slowly to the boil and boil for a few seconds.
6. Leave with the spices to become cold.
7. Drain the onions well and pack into jars suitable for vinegar and pickles.
8. Strain the vinegar and pour over the onions. Cover and seal. Leave for 3-4 months before eating.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1440 Calories from Fat 8
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.91 g1.4%
Saturated Fat 0.38 g1.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 7787.9 mg324.5%
Total Carbohydrates 382 g127.5%
Dietary Fiber 19.2 g76.9%
Sugars 328.5 g
Protein 10 g20%
Vitamin A 0.4% Vitamin C 111.9%
Calcium 21.3% Iron 10.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet