Pan Braised Onions
|Small white onions||2 Pound, peeled|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry vermouth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Take a large heavy bottomed skillet or a wok and melt the butter in it over a medium flame.
2. Add onions and sauté them for 10 minutes until lightly browned.
3. Tip in the vermouth.
4. Reduce the flame to low, cover the pan and simmer the onions in the vermouth for 15 minutes until tender but not mushy.
5. Season the onions with salt and pepper toss in the liquid until reduced to a glaze.
6. Serve onions hot as a side dish to grills or roasts or use them to make stews, curries or gravy.
Calories 103 Calories from Fat 51
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 15.1 mg5%
Sodium 67.6 mg2.8%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.7%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 1 g2.6%
Vitamin A 3.6% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 1.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet