Sausage Stuffed Onions
|Sweet onions||8 Medium|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bulk sausage||1 Pound (1 Package)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Sweet green pepper||1 Small, halved, seeded and diced|
|Cornbread stuffing mix||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
1. Peel the onions and arrange in a large shallow microwave-safe casserole. Add the 1/2 cup water to the casserole and sprinkle with the salt. Cover the casserole with heavy-duty microwave-safe plastic wrap.
2. Microwave on Full Power for 12 minutes, rotating the dish one-half turn after 6 minutes. Remove the onions from the microwave and allow to stand while making the stuffing.
3. Shape the sausage into 8 equal-size patties and arrange in a 2-quart shallow microwave-safe casserole.
4. Microwave the patties on Full Power for 8 minutes, rotating the dish one-half turn after 4 minutes. Remove from the microwave and let stand while preparing the stuffing.
5. Place the 1 1/2 cups water, butter or margarine and diced green pepper in a 6-cup microwave-safe casserole; cover.
6. Microwave the green pepper on Full Power for 6 minutes. Stir in the cornbread stuffing mix until well blended. Let stand while preparing the onions.
7. Loosen and remove the inner rings from the onions and reserve for another recipe. Drain the water from the casserole and return the onions to the dish.
8. Drain the sausage on paper toweling. Crumble the sausage and toss with the stuffing. Spoon into the onions, dividing evenly.
9. Microwave the onions, uncovered, on Full Power for 2 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and red pepper, if you wish.