Old Fashioned Buffalo Onion Rings
|Yellow onion||1 Large|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Seasoning salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried celery flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Cajun seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried parsley||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Corn starch||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hot water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Philadelphia cream cheese||2 Ounce, softened|
|Hot sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Panko bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Peanut oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
1. Peel the onion and slice it into 1/2 inch slices.
2. In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, seasoning salt, dried celery flakes, Cajun seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, dried parsley, cayenne pepper, and corn starch. Stir until combined. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sugar and hot water. Stir until sugar dissolves.
4. Place your onion rings into the sugar mixture. Toss them around so that they are coated with the sugar mixture.
5. Shake off the excess sugar water from the onions and toss the onions into the flour mixture. Toss them around gently so that they are coated with the flour mixture. Place the onions on a plate and set them aside.
6. In a separate bowl, combine softened cream cheese and hot sauce. Stir until they are well combined.
7. Add the egg and buttermilk. Stir after adding each one to incorporate. Set aside.
8. Add bread crumbs to the flour mixture and stir until combined.
9. Dip each ring into the hot sauce mixture and then toss it into the flour mixture until the ring is completely coated.
10. Arrange the rings on a baking tray until all the rings have been coated and ready to fry.
11. In a deep frying pan, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
12. Place 3-4 rings into the oil and fry for 2-3 minutes, turning once until they are golden brown.
13. Transfer on paper towel and drain off excess oil.
14. In a serving plate, serve the onion rings with choice of dip or sauce.