Herb Onion Loaves
|Fresh yeast||1 1⁄2 Ounce (45 Gram)|
|Lukewarm water||2 Fluid Ounce (1/4 Cup, 60 Milliliter)|
|Flour||12 Ounce, sifted (3 Cup, 375 Gram)|
|Wholemeal flour||15 Ounce, sifted and husks returned (3 Cup, 470 Gram)|
|Chopped fresh mixed herbs||2 Tablespoon, parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme|
|Onion flakes||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Warm water||8 Fluid Ounce (1 Cup, 250 Milliliter)|
|Evaporated milk||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs) (2/3 Cup, 170 Milliliter)|
|Butter||4 Ounce, melted and cooled (125 Gram)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Wholemeal flour||2 Tablespoon|
1. Place yeast and lukewarm water in a bowl, mix to dissolve and stand in a warm, draught-free place until frothy.
2. Place flours, herbs, onion flakes, sugar, salt and black pepper to taste in a bowl, mix to combine and make a well in the center. Combine warm water, milk, butter and egg. Pour butter and yeast mixtures in flour mixture and mix to form a soft dough.
3. Tum dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 6 equal portions and roll each into a long sausage, tapering slightly at the ends. Plait three portions together to form a loaf. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. Cover a wire rack with a clean teatowel, lightly dust with wholemeal flour. Place loaves on rack, cover with plastic food wrap and stand in a warm, draught-free place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. Lift loaves carefully onto hot baking trays, lightly dusted with semolina, and bake at 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 for 30-35 minutes.
Calories 970 Calories from Fat 316
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.5%
Saturated Fat 21.1 g105.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 143.9 mg48%
Sodium 920.8 mg38.4%
Total Carbohydrates 132 g44%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48.1%
Sugars 28.5 g
Protein 35 g69.8%
Vitamin A 22.9% Vitamin C 14.5%
Calcium 67.4% Iron 36.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet