Green Bean Casserole with Frizzled Onions
|Onion||1 Medium, very thinly sliced|
|All purpose flour||6 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green beans||1 Pound, trimmed and cut in half|
|Mushrooms||8 Ounce, trimmed, sliced|
|Garlic clove||1 Large, minced|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1. In large bowl, separate onion slices into rings. Add 4 tablespoons flour to onions; toss to coat, shaking off excess.
2. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions, leaving excess flour in bowl. Cook onions, stirring frequently, until onions are browned, 3 to 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer onions to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Discard oil from the skillet.
3. In same skillet, heat 1 inch water to boiling over high heat. Add beans; heat to boiling. Cook beans, uncovered, until tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold running water to stop cooking; drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a shallow 2-quart casserole.
5. In same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
6. In small bowl, with wire whisk, blend remaining 2 tablespoons flour and milk until smooth. Stir into mushroom mixture; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, 5 minutes. Stir in green beans. Turn mixture into prepared casserole. Cover loosely with foil. Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes. Top with onions; bake until onions are heated through, about 1 minute.