Uttapam With Onion
|Urad dal||1 Cup (16 tbs), skin removed (Black Gram)|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Toor dal||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg plant||4 Small (Brinjals)|
|Drumstick||1 (Tender Variety)|
|Tamarind||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Jaggery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Gur)|
|Seasoning for the sambar:|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Asafoetida||1 Pinch (Hing)|
|For sambar masala:|
|Bengal gram||2 Teaspoon (Chana Dal)|
|Black gram||1 Teaspoon, skin removed (Urad Dal)|
|Coriander seeds||2 Teaspoon (Coriander)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Dried red chillies||3|
|Black pepper seeds||8 (Miri)|
|Fenugreek seeds||12 (Methi)|
|Chana dal||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Bengal Gram)|
|Black gram||1⁄2 Teaspoon, skin removed (Urad Dal)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm) (Lahsun)|
|Coriander||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Seasoning for chutney:|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Rye)|
SAMBAR MASALA :
1. Dry roast the masalas separately.
2. Roast the dal until it gives a cooked aroma and turns slightly brown. Remove it.
3. Then stir in red dry chillies and allow them to turn deep red.
4. Mix all these roasted items, allow them to cool and grind them to paste.
1. Cook dal with a little turmeric until it is soft and tender.
2. Mash it with a ladle.
3. Crackle rye, then add jeera, hing and curry leaves in a heated karahi.
4. Add chopped onions and cook till soft.
5. Pour in the cooked dal.
6. Add the ground masala and add 2 cups of water.
7. Stir in the vegetables and bring it to boil. Cook until tender.
8. Soak tamarind into little water for half an hour and extract the juice.
9. Add this juice to the dal with gur and bring it to a boil 2 to 3 times.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves.
1. Heat a pan. Roast the chana dal,urad dal, ginger and lahsun until it gives a cooked aroma and turns slightly brown.
2. Grind to a paste all the roasted items, green chillies, coriander and sugar.
3. Heat a karahi and crackle mustard seeds. As they splutter, add curry leaves and hing.
4. Stir it into the ground chutney.
Method of Uttapam:
1. Soak urad dal and rice separately in water, (enough to cover) for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Grind it to a paste. Mix it thoroughly. Keep the mixture in a container/utensil covered overnight.
3. Stir in salt a little before making the uttappam. Add approximately 1 cup of water. Mix well. This mixture should be of a thick pouring consistency.
4. Heat a tawa, sprinkle a tsp of water. When it evaporates, wipe with cloth.
5. Pour a ladle full of mixture over the tawa and gently spread it like a thick pancake.
6. Take finely chopped onions, green chillies and coriander. Spread them on the mixture.
7. Cover the tawa and cook for a couple of minutes till it turn crisp-brown. ,
8. Turn the Uttappam upside down and again cook till the other side turns crisp brown.
9. Remove from heat.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4558 Calories from Fat 231
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.5%
Saturated Fat 4 g19.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3682.8 mg153.5%
Total Carbohydrates 887 g295.7%
Dietary Fiber 182.2 g728.8%
Sugars 88 g
Protein 212 g424.5%
Vitamin A 169.2% Vitamin C 443.4%
Calcium 234.2% Iron 246.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet