Thousand Layer Rolled Omelette
|Primary bonito stock||8 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated daikon||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (radish)|
|Grated cucumber||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thinly sliced sweet vinegared ginger||1 1⁄2 Ounce (45 gram / 1/3 cup)|
1. Beat eggs well, frothing as little as possible. Add bonito stock, soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and salt.
2. Heat a 6- to 8-inch (15- to 20-cm) skillet or egg pan over medium-high heat until medium-hot. Lightly oil pan using a paper towel or cloth swab. Pour enough egg mixture into pan to cover bottom (1/4 to 1/3 cup) and tilt pan to coat evenly. Stir lightly, breaking any bubbles, until nearly set (center top will still be runny). Tilt pan towards you and roll up egg with spatula (or roll away from you, if easier).
Re-oil pan surface, slide rolled egg to farthest end, finish re-oiling, and add more egg mixture. Lift rolled egg and tilt pan slightly so that uncooked egg will flow under rolled egg. When new egg is done, start with previously rolled egg and repeat rolling process to make one large roll.
Cook remaining egg in same manner. The number of times this process has to be repeated depends on the size of the pan. Adjust heat when necessary to allow quick, even cooking without browning. Remember, egg should be soft and pliant, not rubbery. Brown last batch slightly.
3. Wrap egg in cheesecloth and then in bamboo rolling mat or dry kitchen towel folded several times. Press gently into a rectangular shape. (This may take a few minutes.) If serving chilled or at room temperature, let cool before slicing.
4. Unwrap and trim ends of roll, if necessary. Cut omelette roll crosswise into 1-inch (2 1/2-cm) slices.
5. Combine grated daikon and cucumber. Drain off water. Mound on plate and place sliced egg alongside. Season grated condiments with soy sauce to taste. Garnish with a few pieces of sweet vinegared ginger. Serve hot, chilled, or at room temperature.
Calories 150 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.6%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g11.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.7 mg70.6%
Sodium 266.1 mg11.1%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g2.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.03 g0.11%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 7 g13.8%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 0.24%
Calcium 2.8% Iron 5.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet