Southern Fried Okra
|Okra pods||1 Pound, prepared for cooking (Small Pods)|
|Unsifted flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water|
|White corn meal/Yellow corn meal /fine dry bread crumbs / cracker meal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine / lard / bacon drippings||3 Tablespoon|
1. Remove tips and cut of the stem ends of the okra pods.
2. Slice into 1/4th inch roundels
3. Place between sheets of paper toweling and absorb all the moisture.
4. Toss the okra roundels in flour.
5. Dip them in beaten egg and then drop them in a plate of cornmeal or crumbs. Coat both sides.
6. Arrange on a plate lined with absorbent kitchen paper.
7. Take a large shallow frying pan and heat fat on a medium high flame.
8. When hot, add the breaded okra roundels and fry for 2 minutes on each side until crisp and evenly golden
9. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling.
10. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Serve the okra immediately while hot and crispy