1. Wash and cut the tips and ends of okra.
2. Cut the okra in about ¼ inch thick pieces.
3. In a bowl, place the okra pieces and pour in beaten egg, stir to coat and allow to soak for 5 minutes.
4. In a cast iron pan, heat oil about ¼ inch of the pan.
5. Season the okra with salt, pepper onion, and garlic powder.
6. Dip the okra in corn meal, toss and coat evenly and fry in the hot oil few at a time.
7. Turn the heat down to medium, stir and turn the okra, flip them, and fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until they are golden brown in colour.
8. Using a slotted spoon, drain the okra on a kitchen paper.
Dave has a delicious looking deep fried okra recipe for side dish. He coats tiny pieces of okra with beaten egg mixture and deep fries them until lightly browned. These tiny browned bits looks inviting. He has not said anything about the seasoning, but if required, you can add it to your taste and enjoy.