Barley oil is obtained from the milling extractions of the barley seeds, which are generally used for food, as animal feed and even for the purpose of malting. However, extracting this oil is a laborious and time consuming process, making it one of the most expensive oils. This oil is similar to corn oil in its composition of fatty acids such as linoleate oil and is known to have some great health benefiting properties.
Barley Oil Benefits
There are innumerable health benefits associated with barley oil as it is rich in many important vitamins and minerals. Some notable internal and external benefits of using oil of barley are –
- Reduction in the serum cholesterol levels
- Increased intestinal fluid viscosity
- Relief from digestive problems such stomach ache, diarrhea, inflamed bowel, etc.
- Lowered blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar
- Helps lung related problems such as bronchitis
- Relief of aches and joint pains
- Increased muscle energy
- Relaxed and soothing feeling
- Relieves arthritis
- Helps in cases of inflammation of joint tissues, ligaments, tendons,
- Relieves muscle strain and fatigue
It also helps in treating boils on the skin
Barley Seed Oil – Side Effects
Some people are allergic to barley and barley seed oil; hence they need to be avoided. Some common allergies caused by the seed and its oil are gastrointestinal allergies, increased risk of cancer especially for people suffering from celiac diseases, skin allergies, bronchial allergies, breathlessness, etc.
Barley Seed Oil - Nutritional Value
This oil is a rich source of antioxidants. It also contains many important vitamins and minerals as the barley seeds contain vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12, E and C. Other than these, it also contains a good quantity of iron, calcium, zinc, magnesium and copper. All these can be found in barley oil which is used for relieving arthritic inflammation and pain.
Barley Seed Oil - Trivia
The oil is a natural source of organic ingredients, hence, considered good for a body massage, which in turn helps soothe the aching body. It is considered to be naturally rejuvenating oil.