Auckland food is characteristic of the region situated amid seas including the Pacific Ocean's Harauki Gulf and mountains such as the Hanua ranges. The city is a prime harbor of New Zealand and its cuisine is showcased through many food and wine events held during different seasons. Roasted Groper Belly w/ Salsa Verde, Prunes in Port, Bay Natural Lamb Rump, Gravlax Crêpe Rolls and Shepherd’s Salad with Feta are some popular recipes created by renowned chefs during Auckland Food events.
Historical and Cultural Influences on Auckland Cuisine
Ideas have evolved to include mixed traditional preparations borrowed from Kiwiana culture in Auckland Food preparations with heavy cooking influences from the Mediterranean and Asian region to include their techniques as well as ingredients. Of late, dishes from Mediterranean, Indian and Chinese cuisines have also entered the cooking arena of Auckland. Also the regional cuisine has adopted food trends of Melbourne and Sydney.
Ingredients Commonly Used in Auckland Cooking
Food of Auckland comprises of different kinds of cheeses, fish and seafood, fresh fruits and vegetables, seasonings, herbs and meats. The vicinity towards sea is the reason for the usage of exotic seafood variety in its food. The Waiheke Island in Auckland houses the finest 20 Cabernet blends of the world.
Popular Auckland Recipes
- Smoked Kahawai Fishcakes with Gribiche is a popular Auckland Food made of Smoked Kahawai Fishcakes with flavors of Gribiche Sauce and Cabernet Syrup.
- Zucchini & Mint Pasta is an Australian variation of the pasta recipe.
- Porcetta Di Testa is made of Murrellen Pork Pig head seasoned with rosemary, lemon rind, black pepper, salt and sage.
- Roast Lemon Chicken is made using free range chicken seasoned with whole lemon, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
Places Famous for Auckland Cuisine
- Mamma Mia Pizzeria Restaurant is specialized in Italian food since 35 years in Auckland.
- Cable Bay Vineyards is specialized in wine and food located on the Waiheke Island.
- Antoine’s restaurant has been running since 1973 caters exotic Auckland food along with the region's wine.
- Orbit restaurant serves food giving a panoramic view of the city from its location.
Chefs specialized in Auckland Recipes
Auckland boasts of chefs among the finest in the world specialized in regional as well as global food.
Chef Al Brown the author of cookbook Go Fish is an award winning chef from the region.
Andy Glover, Bill Granger, Jonny Schwass, Simon Gault and Sophie Gray are some of the top chefs who participate in the Auckland Food Show held in Auckland every year.