|Beef tenderloins/Fillet mignon||48 Ounce (8 fillets (6 ounce each))|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Puff pastry sheet||16 Ounce, thawed|
|All pupose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (for dusting)|
|Pate||4 Ounce, cut into 8 slices (Les Trois Petits Cochons Pate with Mushrooms)|
|For mushroom duxelles|
|White mushrooms||12 Ounce|
|Sweet onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), mince|
|Cracked black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh thyme leaves||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Truffle extra virgin olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
1. Season with salt and pepper and dust beef with pan-searing flour.
2. Heat oil in pan on MEDIUM-HIGH until oil faintly smokes.
3. Add beef fillet. Sear 1-2 min each side. Remove from pan and repeat with all fillets.
4. Refrigerate minimum 4 hours (or overnight).
5. To prepare the mushroom duxelle chop mushrooms very fine in food processor, almost to a paste.
6. Heat oil in braising pan on medium. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 min, until onions are softened, but not browned.
7. Add mushrooms; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, 25-30 min, until all water is cooked out of the vegetables. Stir in thyme and truffle oil. Refrigerate at least 4 hours (or overnight).
5. Roll puff pastry on lightly floured work surface to 14x20-inches. Cut into 8 equal pieces (about 7x5-inches).
6. Spread each fillet with even portion of mushroom duxelles. Top each with pate slice.
7. Center fillets, pate/duxelles-side down on pastry squares.
8. Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp water in small bowl to make egg wash. Brush egg wash along outside exposed edges of pastry. Bring pastry corners toward center; mold dough to seal tenderloin completely. Place beef pastries (Wellingtons) seam-side down on parchment-covered baking sheet.
9. Brush tops and sides thoroughly with remaining egg wash. Score tops very lightly in crisscross pattern.
10. Refrigerate 2 hours or until your guests arrive.
11. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
12. Bake Wellingtons 25 minutes until internal temp of beef reaches 130 degrees for Medium. (Check by inserting thermometer halfway into thickest part of beef.)
13. Rest 10-15 min before serving.
14. Serve with Red Wine Sauce with Truffle Butter. Also goes well with Mushroom Wine Sauce.
If you prefer well-done, bake until internal temp reaches 145 degrees.
Always work with cold puff pastry.
Calories 1202 Calories from Fat 594
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g100.7%
Saturated Fat 19.9 g99.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 305 mg101.7%
Sodium 2012.8 mg83.9%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.6%
Sugars 7.8 g
Protein 92 g184.9%
Vitamin A 72.7% Vitamin C 13.7%
Calcium 11.9% Iron 50.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet