Polynesian Party Platter
|Uncooked regular rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Thinly sliced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pork picnic shoulder||3 Pound, canned (1 Can)|
|Unsifted all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned pineapple chunks in juice||1 1⁄4 Pound (1 Can, 1 Pound, 4 Ounce)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned plum tomatoes||15 Ounce, sliced (1 Can, Small Sized Tomatoes)|
|Canned italian green beans||1 Pound (1 Can)|
1. In a rice cooker or a hot pot, combine rice and celery and cook following the directions on the label of the rice packet. Cover and keep warm. Reserve to the side.
2. To prepare the pork, use a knife to trim the fat. Also remove the gelatine from the top of the pork and reserve for later. Cut the pork into 1 inch thick cubes.
3. In a plastic bag , add flour and ginger. Place the pork cubes into the bag and shake well so that the pork is coated on all sides.
4. In a large frying pan, add 4 tablespoons of butter or margarine and heat. Add the pork cubes and sautee till brown. Remove with a slotted spoon.
5. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water and reserve.
6. In the same frying pan, drain the juices of the pineapple and bring to heat adding the cornstarch mixture. Add in brown sugar, vinegar, molasses, and gelatin from pork. Stir till the mixture thickens.
7. Add the pineapple and pork and continue to cook till mixture bubbles.
8. In a separate small pan, add tomatoes and beans and cook till bubbling. Reserve.
9. To serve this dish, place the rice in the centre of the plate in a ring or an oval.
10. Place the pork in the centre of the rice.
11. Drain the tomato and bean mixture over the rice and pork.
12. Butter the vegetables with a spoon of butter or margarine.
13. Garnish with green pepper
Calories 621 Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 130.7 mg43.6%
Sodium 372.8 mg15.5%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.6%
Sugars 22.3 g
Protein 39 g77.8%
Vitamin A 12.7% Vitamin C 17.1%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 21.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet