Fried Herring In Oatmeal
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Medium oatmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Grams, For Deep Frying)|
1. Scale the herrings and wash thoroughly.
2. Place on a fish board and use a sharp fillet knife to cut off the heads and tails.
3. Slit each fish down the belly, and clean out the offal.
4. Open up the fish and place with inside facing down on the board.
5. Press down the back to loosen the bone, then turn over and pull away the bone from the flesh.
6. Do the same for the remaining fish.
7. Rinse the herring again, arrange on a plate, cover and refrigerate until ready to cook
8. To coat the herrings, in a shallow dish add the milk and season it with pepper and salt.
9. Place the oatmeal on a flat plate.
10. Dip the herrings into the milk, turning to coat both sides.
11. Then press into the oatmeal to give an even coating on both sides.
12. Shake off loose oatmeal and arrange on a platter.
13. In a large frying pan, add a little butter to grease.
14. Heat the pan on a medium high flame.
15. Arrange the herrings, flesh side down into the hot butter and brown on one side for 4 minutes.
16. Carefully turn over using a spatula and brown for another 3-4 minutes.
17. Arrange fish on in serving plates.
18. Serve immediately with sauce of you choice.