Willie Mae's Filled Oatmeal Cookies
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Part Butter)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Uncooked quick cooking rolled oats||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Snipped pitted dates||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Stir vinegar into milk; set aside.
2. Sift flour with baking soda.
3. Cream shortening with salt until light and fluffy, gradually adding 3/4 cup sugar. Blend in half of flour mixture, then milk, then remaining flour mixture. Stir in rolled oats. Refrigerate 4 hours.
4. Meanwhile, for filling, in saucepan combine dates, 3/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and water; bring to boil; set aside to cool.
5. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
6. On well-floured surface, roll out dough 1/8 inch thick (roll only one-third of dough at a time, refrigerate rest). Cut with floured 2-inch round cutter. Spread 1 teaspoonful of date mixture on each of half of cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
7. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
8. Cool on wire racks. Makes about 3 dozen.