Korean Food: Homemade Walnut Ice Cream (호두 아이스크림)
|Heavy whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Walnuts||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), crushed (for topping)|
1. In a small bowl, soak the walnuts in water for about 30 minutes.
2. In a pan, break the egg or egg yolk, add 2 tablespoon of milk and mix slowly to combine. Add rest of the milk, heavy whipping cream, and sugar. Stir gently until the sugar dissolves.
3. Boil this on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally it.
4. After soaking the walnuts, drain and grind them for about a minute on high speed, or it becomes a smooth paste.
5. When the ice cream is done cooking, strain it for a smoother texture. This step is optional.
6. Add the walnut powder into the mixture. Stir it well.
7. For an extra smooth ice cream, strain it once more into a glass container for freezing. Freeze the ice cream mixture.
8. At a 3-4 hours interval, take the ice cream out and mix it with a fork for a smooth texture.
9. Serve the ice cream, scooped in individual bowls, topped with chopped walnuts.
It is important to keep the temperature low when cooking the egg and milk mixture, as the egg will make the ice cream lumpy. This step is to make the egg safe to eat.
When you fork the ice cream mixture at the 3 - 4 hour interval, will make the final texture smoother. If you have an ice cream machine, let it do all of the work.