Spiced Mixed Nuts
|Butter||1 Tablespoon, softened|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Egg white||1 , lightly beaten|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Blanched unsalted almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Use Whole)|
|Black walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), unsalted, broken|
|Whole filberts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), unsalted|
1. Preheat the oven to 275°.
2. With a pastry brush, spread the tablespoon of softened butter over a large baking sheet.
3. In a small bowl mix well combining the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and salt.
4. Stir adding the egg white and water until the mixture is a smooth paste.
5. With a table fork, stir in about 1/2 cup of the nuts such that they are evenly coated and transfer one at a time to the baking sheet.
6. Coat the remaining nuts by the half cupful and arrange on the sheet in one layer.
7. Bake the nuts in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes, or until the spice coating is crisp and golden brown.
8. Cool to room temperature and store the spiced mixed nuts in a tightly covered jar until ready to serve.