Rice Pistachio Stuffing
Onions - 2, finely chopped
Long-grain rice - 2 1/2 cups
Chicken stock - 5 to 6 cups
Raisins - 1 cup
Cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
Allspice - 1/2 teaspoon
Freshly grated nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon
Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
Salt - to taste
Shelled pistachio nuts - 1 cup
1) In a skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and sautÃ© till soft, but not brown.
2) Add the rice, stir well and cook, constantly stirring, till the grains are translucent. This usually takes about 3 minutes.
3) Add the 5 cups of stock gradually and stir well. Add the spices, raisins and seasoning.
4) Cover the mixture and bring it to a boil over high heat.
5) Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, till the liquid has been absorbed. In case the rice is not soft enough, add the remaining stock, over and cook again till the liquid has been absorbed.
6) Let the rice cool and then add the nuts. Stir well.
7) Serve or use the stuffing as preferred. It can be used to stuff pork crown roast or poultry.