|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), softened (1 1/3 sticks)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Food color||1 (Red or green)|
|Pistachio nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Multi colored nonpareils||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
3. In another large bowl, combine butter, sugar, egg and vanilla and mix well.
4. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter mixture until just smooth. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat well till completely combined.
5. Tip one cup of the batter into a small bowl and add 2-3 drops of the food coloring to the batter.
6. Add the nuts to the batter and mix well
7. Pour out the mix on to a waxed paper and then bring the mixture together to make a 10 inches long roll. Place this roll in the freezer for 10 minutes.
8. Roll the rest of the dough into a 10-by-6-inch rectangle. Place the roll in the freezer for 10 minutes. Remove the top sheet of the waxed paper.
9. Shape the colored roll lengthwise in the center of the rectangle of dough. Mold the white colored dough around the roll covering the roll completely. Roll in nonpareils and wrap in waxed paper. Freeze for 20-30 minutes
10. Cut the frozen roll into 1/8 inches thick slices and then place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes till done. These cookies can be stored in an airtight container for a long time.
11. Serve as a snack