Spiced Mixed Nuts
|Walnut halves||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Superfine sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Orange peel||2 Teaspoon|
|Pecan halves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), blanched|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°F
2. Simmer walnuts dropping them in boiling water for 10 minutes and drain.
3. In a bowl sift sugar, salt and spices together 2 or 3 times to blend well.
4. In another bowl beat egg whites until frothy; add the 2 tablespoons water and mix well.
5. Stir adding walnuts, pecans and almonds to coat well with egg white mixture and drain in colander.
6. In a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan make a shallow layer of the spiced sugar, using about half of it.
7. Mix well adding nuts to the remaining sugar mixture.
8. In the pan separate nuts and spread in a single layer over sugar.
9. Bake in oven 2 1/2 to 3 hours at temperature not over 200°F.
10. Remove from oven and while warm break into small pieces, allowing 2 to 3 nuts to each piece.
11. Serve Spiced Mixed Nuts mixing it into salads or other foods or alongside beverages.