|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, sliced|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon (Preferably Low Sodium)|
|Dried sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Celery seed||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat bread cubes||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Egg substitute||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. With a sharp knife, carve an "X" on the flat side of each chestnut.
3. Place in a saucepan with just enough water to cover the chestnut.
4. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender.
5. Drain and set aside until just cool enough to handle.
6. Peel while still warm.
7. Quarter and set aside.
8. In a large frying pan, sautÃ© the onions, celery, and mushrooms in the oil until almost soft, about 7 minutes.
9. Add the stock, parsley, soy sauce, sage, pepper, celery seed and simmer for 3 minutes.
10. Add the bread, chestnuts, egg substitute and mix well.
11. Coat a 1 1/2-quart casserole with nonstick spray.
12. Add the stuffing and cover.
13. Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes.
14. Remove the cover and bake for another 15 minutes to brown the top.
15. Serve warm and crispy an as excellent dessert.
Calories 449 Calories from Fat 89
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.9%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.6%
Trans Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 13.4 mg4.5%
Sodium 466 mg19.4%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.8%
Dietary Fiber 9 g36%
Sugars 19.2 g
Protein 10 g19.9%
Vitamin A 11.1% Vitamin C 20.8%
Calcium 6% Iron 11.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet