Curried Acorn Squash, Red Lentil and Apple Soup
|Red lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs), picked over and rinsed|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon (Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Spanish onion||1 , peeled and diced|
|Acorn squash||1 Medium, peeled, seeded and cubed (Approximately 4 To 5 Cups Prepared Squash)|
|Finely chopped ginger||1 Tablespoon, peeled|
|Carrots||2 Medium, scrubbed and diced|
|Celery rib||2 , diced|
|Red bell pepper||To Taste, cored, seeded and diced|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cortland apples||2 , unpeeled, cored and diced|
1. In a saucepan place the lentils, in 2 cups of the water and bring to a boil.
2. Reducing the heat, simmer the lentils until they are tender but still whole, approximately 5 to 10 minutes and set the lentils aside.
3. In a Dutch oven heat the 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat and sautÃ© the onion in it, stirring often, until it is soft.
4. Then add the squash along with a dash of salt, cover the pot and steam-saute the squash, stirring it often, for 6 minutes.
5. Pouring in 2 more cups of the water, simmer the squash until it is tender, approximately 10 minutes.
6. In a food processor or blender puree the onion-squash mixture until it is very smooth and set it aside.
7. In the cleaned Dutch oven, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat and sautÃ© the gingerroot, until it is soft and fragrant.
8. Add the carrots, celery, red bell pepper along with a dash of salt, cover the pot and steam-saute the vegetables, stirring them often, for 6 minutes.
9. Add the curry powder, coriander and cinnamon and saute the vegetables 2 minutes longer.
10. Raising the heat, add the remaining 2 cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
11. Lowering the heat simmer the mixture until the carrots are tender, approximately 10 minutes.
12. Add the apples and simmer the mixture for 2 minutes longer.
13. To the vegetable mixture add the pureed squash and the cooked lentils, stir well and simmer the soup 5 minutes longer.
14. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.