Spinach Beet Green and Pine Nut Stuffing
|Beet greens||3 Cup (48 tbs), stemmed and chopped|
|Spinach||2 Pound, stemmed, chopped|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Turkey/Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Unsalted)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onions||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Chopped thyme/1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Pine nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Brandy||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. In a large stock pot, bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil.
2. To the boiling water, add the beet greens, spinach and parsley.
3. Close the pot and steam for about 4 minutes or until the greens are wilted
4. Drain in a colander and refresh the greens in chilled water to prevent discolorization.
5. Squeeze out all excess moisture using a kitchen towel. Keep aside in a bowl.
6. In a heavy saucepan, bring the stock to a boil and reduce it to about 1/3 cup.
7. Take off the flame.
8. Add the raisins and set aside to plump.
9. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, melt the butter.
10. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
11. Further, add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
12. Stir in the raisins and the stock.
13. Take saucepan off the flame and allow it to cool.
14. In a large mixing bowl, combine the blanched greens, the onion mixture, pine nuts, lemon juice and brandy.
15. Mix in the bread crumbs.
16. Allow the stuffing to cool before using.
Calories 653 Calories from Fat 253
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.8%
Saturated Fat 7.8 g38.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 102.5 mg34.2%
Sodium 648.8 mg27%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.6%
Dietary Fiber 11.8 g47.1%
Sugars 16.4 g
Protein 40 g80.3%
Vitamin A 483.5% Vitamin C 170.4%
Calcium 40% Iron 67.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet